May 31, 2018

TGIFF - Fidget Blanket

Welcome to TGIFF! 


If this is your first time here, then an especially big welcome to you 😊 I'd love to have you sign up for my newsletter, The Bulletin. If you do, I'll send you a link to download my Wind Farm quilt pattern, which is only available to subscribers. Then I'll pop into your inbox on the 16th of each month with a roundup of fun things to make, a family favourite recipe and news from here on my blog. I hope you'll join me!

I have a fun, quick project to share today. I was asked to make another fidget blanket for a special needs teacher to use with her students. She specified that she wanted it to be fairly gender neutral, and with not too many colours, so I chose this fun rocket print (from Connecting Threads a few years ago) for the outside. Those of you who remember my first fidget blankets may remember that I used the rockets for one of them too. It's one of my favourite kid prints 😊
Fidget blanket | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
The blankets are 12" x 17" and close with a button and loop (made from a hair elastic). I layered the inside, outside and batting together, stitched around and then turned it all right side out and stitched around it again. Attaching all of the activities acts as quilting to hold everything together in the center.

Here's the inside. I stuck with the same activities as in the other fidget blankets. There are ribbons for weaving, a zipper, laces to tie, a button to slide on a ribbon and a couple of different buckles for repeated opening and closing. There is also a velcro closed pocket and a button panel. I used the automatic buttonhole maker that came with my machine, but I do need to do a little more practicing to get the buttonhole properly centered.
http://devotedquilter.blogspot.com/2017/12/fidget-blankets.html
 There's a little rocket surprise inside the button panel.
http://devotedquilter.blogspot.com/2017/12/fidget-blankets.html
And a little star on a ribbon inside the velcro pocket.
http://devotedquilter.blogspot.com/2017/12/fidget-blankets.html

That's my finish for this week and now it's your turn! Link up your finishes below and then be sure to visit some of the other links and help them celebrate their finishes too 😊


9 comments:

  1. Very creative! And I love the rocket fabric. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some fun and creative ideas for your fidget quilt! At our guild meeting this month, we will be putting together fidget quilt to donate. Its a great idea and the need is there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet finish that I am sure will be put to good use and enjoyed. That rocket fabric is fantastic (yeah, I'm probably biased). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leanne, this is such a great project. My father-in-law passed away from early onset Alzheimers and it was such a sad time to see him like that. This sort of thing would have been great during that time. You put lots of thought into this and did a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne, your fidget blanket is fantastic. Using an elastic hairband as a button loop is just plain genius, by the way. Thanks for hosting the linky and thank you for putting your love and talent into these special projects for special needs children!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish. Hopefully it will assist the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fidget blanket is awesome and knowing who it is for makes it even better. I would maybe use them at church with my grand children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little blanket. I love the surprises inside

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.