April 26, 2017

Quilt for Seniors - Update

Checking the mail is like Christmas morning around here lately! Blocks have started rolling in for the quilts for the seniors displaced by the fire a couple of weeks ago, along with battings and fabric for backing and binding.

This incredible stack of 301 blocks all arrived on one day!
Donated quilt blocks | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
This gorgeous quilt top arrived the same day.
Donated quilt top | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
Not counting the complete top, I now have 634 blocks in my possession, with many, many more on the way. I have been completely amazed by everyone's generosity! I will have more blocks than I need for the 21 residents of the home, but that's okay. I'll just keep making and donating quilts until I run out of blocks! However, if this is your first time hearing about the block drive, I don't need more blocks, lol 😁

I've started grouping blocks together to make tops. 42 blocks per quilt, in a 6x7 layout that just fits on my kitchen table if I overlap the blocks. I'm trying not to stress too much over this part of the process. We all know it would be possible to spend an hour or more rearranging and switching out blocks for each quilt, but I don't want to spend that much time on each one. The goal is a pleasing scrappy arrangement, not a perfect one!

42 quilt blocks | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
I'm really enjoying looking closely at each of the blocks and especially enjoying when I come across a fabric that I have in my own stash. And I'm finding plenty of fabrics I wish were in my stash! It's also fun to see the eclectic mix of traditional and modern prints, novelty prints, batiks, reproduction prints...you name it, I probably have some of it in these blocks!

I will have help sewing the tops together (thankfully!) so for now I'm just creating bundles of 42. That way I can either give them to someone to take home and sew or I can take them to the sew-day I'm planning to have at our church in May.
Bundles of 42 quilt blocks | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
 Once again, quilters have proven themselves to be wonderful, generous people. I am so happy to be part of such a fantastic community! I'll be sure to share more updates as the quilts start coming together 😊

7 comments:

  1. I, too, have learned that trying to think too much in making a scrappy quilt is not time well spent. Things will look good no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have been overwhelmed by generosity. If I were close I would love to make it to your sew in!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to see all the blocks rolling in, so thank you for letting us be part of that. So sad that I didn't get some blocks made, but I am so delighted to see our community reach out like this! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great response you have had Leanne, this should keep you busy for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing project blessing the lives of so many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you would get more blocks than you need. Isn't it wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great and glad you got so many. Will make some really nice quilts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.