December 01, 2016

TGIFF - Wind Farm Quilt Top

Welcome to Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday! I'm glad you're here and I'm looking forward to seeing all the finishes you have to share 😊

I have a quick finish to share this week...well, a finished quilt top, at least. The quilting part will have to wait until sometime in the new year. The top itself took me about a week to finish, which I'm pretty sure is a record for me.
Wind Farm quilt top | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
I had a terrible time trying to get pictures of this one, for some reason. The colours are much more vibrant and pretty in real life than they seem to be here. Obviously I need to make a serious effort to learn more about photography, which is going to be one of my goals for 2017.

I'm not sure what to name this quilt. I had been calling it Strippy Pinwheels, which didn't really inspire me, but I needed to call it something. Then a friend said it reminded her of windmills and when I looked at it after that all I could see was wind turbines arranged in rows, which gave me the name Wind Farm. I'm still not sure it's right, though. Any thoughts? Let me know if you have a suggestion for a better name, or if you think I should go with Wind Farm or Strippy Pinwheels. I need all the help I can get with naming this one!

I must not have been paying close attention when I was cutting out my strips because one fat quarter was cut with the selvedges included in the length. I didn't realize it until I started piecing blocks, at which point I decided to just use those strips anyway. You can see a couple of them peeking out in this picture. It was a very pretty selvedge, so I didn't mind it sneaking into the quilt.
Four blocks together create the wind turbine effect with the gold fabric, but I also love the dark blue pinwheel.
Wind Farm Quilt top | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
Now it's your turn! What have you finished this week? Link it up here, then pop over to visit some of the other links and leave some comments and encouragement.


10 comments:

  1. How fun. I dint notice the dark blue windmill until the close-up. I like the rail fence background. Have you thought about calling it wind and rails or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Wind Farm, but also see Cartwheels as a possible name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about rails and sails? It's similar to Jasmine's name, but the on an old Dutch windmill, the blades are called sails (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice quilt Leanne, it does look like wind turbines which are Wind Tossed !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a really hard time naming quilts! So, I won't be any help in that department! Love the concept of this design and the colors! Some colors are so hard to photograph, and this time of year doesn't help either! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the color combo as well. How about tape the rails :) Sorry it remind me of tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I'm terrible at naming quilts (and so don't do it), so I can't provide any advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful! I've been struggling with my own pictures as well. Photography is not something that comes naturally to me. I do love the Wind Farm name. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting today Leanne :) Your sweet quilt actually reminds me of sticky plasters (we call them band-aids in Aus) so I was thinking of 'Plaster Pinwheels'??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this! Can't think of a name though - I'm horrible at finding names for my own quilts. Thank you for hosting TGIFF this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.