May 01, 2015

Flower Box in Make Modern Magazine

I am so excited to finally be able to share my Flower Box cushion, which is in the newest issue of Make Modern magazine! This issue (their 5th) is now available from here.
I hesitated about submitting this design because my style is rather traditional and I didn't know if it would be considered modern enough, so I was especially thrilled when it was accepted.

The cushion is made with one 12" block and uses both traditional piecing and applique. Apparently I like to make mixed technique projects, since my Twirling Star pattern is made with traditional piecing and paper piecing. Do you like to mix techniques in you projects?
When I needed to submit the pictures, I didn't actually have a 12" pillow form and the only form my local store had was a rather pathetically stuffed 14". It fit in my cushion cover, though, and made it look nice and full. I have since bought a properly stuffed 12" pillow form and it looks exactly the same, so I guess now I can make another cushion cover :)

Cushion covers are quick projects that give that gratification of a finish almost as soon as you start! Plus, they're small enough that you can practice your machine quilting without committing to a huge quilt.
If you make a Flower Box cushion, or use it as a block to make a larger quilt, I'd love to see it! Send me a picture or a link to a blog post, or tag me on Instagram (I'm @devotedquilter).

In celebration of my first publication, I'll be linking with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop, TGIFF and Finish it up Friday.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice photos, Leanne, and congratulations on being published in Make Modern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Leanne, delighted to see your cushion when I opened MM today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! It's a lovely block that makes a great pillow! I guess we're all hungry for flowers, because they're everywhere this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute design. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Love the quilting - really makes the flower petals stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats for your publication! The pillow is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so fresh and unique! Congratulations on your magazine feature-well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.