June 10, 2014

Swap Quilt

I've been making a lot of progress with my quilt for the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap. In fact, the top is finished.

I love how bright and cheerful it is. My partner said she likes bright colours, so I hope this works for her.

I've spent a bit of time staring at it, wondering how I'm going to quilt it. I'm a little nervous for a couple of reasons. First of all, this is for someone else, and a quilter at that. I want the quilting to be the best I can manage. Second, anything I quilt on those solids is really going to show. There is no colour thread that is going to blend perfectly with all those fabrics and the quilting always stands out on solids. So, I haven't come up with a plan yet. Any suggestions?

Each of the coloured triangles in the quilt top was added using the stitch and flip method, so I stitched a second line and cut off the excess fabric, leaving me with this nice little stack of bonus HSTs.

They all have a seam in the white triangle because of how the original block was pieced, but I still hated the thought of throwing out all that fabric.

I've been playing around with them, trying out some of the blocks from Craftsy's Youtube HST video with Camille Roskelley. There are enough HSTs in the pile to make two blocks, so I think I'll use them on the back of the quilt. Once I decide which of the many HST variations I want to make, that is.

Linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday, WIP Wednesday, Let's Bee Social, NTT Thursday and I Quilt.

13 comments:

  1. I would use a medium grey color thread, it won't fight with the colors and will show nicely in the white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with fromcarolinahome, medium grey thread would look nice. Nice color choice, sure the quilter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the brightness of the quilt top, you could always just stitch in the ditch around the colors and then quilt the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! That would be a hard one to part with. To quilt it, I might use a pale yellow. It won't blend, but it will show up equally on the white and the colors. Also, I'd use a "loose" quilting design, not a "heavy" one. What ever you do, it will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty top. I feel your pain about quilting for another quilter. I'm making a wedding quilt for a couple where the guy makes quilts and I've been stressed about bringing my A game. :P I'm sure he'll love it and your partner will love your mini! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty colors together make for a cute little quilt! I just did a mini quilt and I quilted concentric circles.
    there is a pic on my blog. I suggest a thin thread like Glide from Bobbin Central.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So vibrant someone is lucky to be receiving your mini quilt. Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I adore this mini! Gotta love those solids. You chose a fabulous design. How about some honeycomb quilting? I made two projects recently and used this method on the second one here... http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.ca/2014/05/im-little-bit-county-and-im-little-bit.html It's a great method to use as an all over quilting motif and sew easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! That one was the Serpentine stitch. Here is the honeycomb quilting one...
      http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.ca/2014/02/pillow-case-tutorial-with-french-seams.html

      Delete
  9. The colors are so bright, makes a good mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous - reminds me of a television test pattern for some reason. Hope your swap partner loves it.

    Here via WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute Leanne! I like the pops of black with all of that color!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really, really like that – it catches my eye and makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.