November 01, 2013

My Fall Mug Rugs

I got an email from my swap partner today, letting me know my mug rugs arrived safely in Australia, so now I can share them here. For this swap we were asked to make two mug rugs with a fall theme and my first thought was of this cute pumpkin applique from the book I won back in September.
Mug Rug #1
On the leaves fabric I did a little FMQ design from Angela Walters' Dot-to-Dot Quilting class on Craftsy. I love her designs and her teaching style. My rendition featured lines nowhere near as straight as I would have liked, but it wasn't bad overall.

For my second one, I decided to try something a little different. I had never done quilt-as-you-go, but the book with the pumpkin in it also had a pattern for a reversible table runner done by QAYG. A reversible mug rug sounded fun, especially since my partner experiences the seasons opposite to me here in Newfoundland. So even though it is fall here, she is in the middle of spring.

For the fall side, I chose this fabulous pumpkin fabric I've had in my stash for a long, long time and made the small log cabin block in coordinating colours.
Mug Rug #2- Side 1
Then, for the spring side I chose this bright pink print and coordinating colours.
Mug Rug #2 - Side 2

I enjoyed the QAYG method, especially since it used by some of the small batting scraps I can't usually find a use for. I'm not sure I'd want to make a big quilt this way, but it's kind of fun for smaller projects.

Did you notice? Even the binding is reversible! It took a little figuring, since I usually make double-fold binding and this is single-fold, and my first attempt was way too wide. I had to rip out the seam, trim some from each side and the stitch it back on, but I was pleased with how it turned out in the end.
So, that's the first of my Finish-a-Long items finished!

Linking up with TGIFF, Finish it up Friday, and Can I get a Whoop Whoop.













3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that binding!!! I must try that one day, perhaps on a small project like a mug rug, so the seam ripping that ensues isn't too painful LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute mug rugs! Gotta think about that reversible binding... I just KNOW I'll have to rip it out and resize to get it right! lol

    susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! And very clever for the binding! I'm sure your partner will love it, Leanne. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.